Autopsy Reveals History Of Abuse In 4 Year-Old’s Death

By Emily Weaver
Managing Editor
Dunn Daily Record

Jaylen Boykin died from blunt force trauma to his abdomen on Dec. 12, 2020 according to an autopsy. He was 4 years old.

An autopsy on a 4-year-old boy beaten to death inside his Dunn home in December revealed a history of injuries to the young child.

Jaylen Ray Boykin suffered a “potential seizure,” according to a 911 call for help to his mother’s apartment at 101 Sawyer Circle on Dec. 12.

Medics found him unresponsive and rushed him to Betsy Johnson Hospital.

“Resuscitative efforts continued at the hospital for approximately 1 hour before his death was pronounced,” Medical Examiner Zachary O’Neill stated in Jaylen’s autopsy report. “Hospital personnel identified multiple external injuries on the child. His mother reported that he had vomited on the floor. She attempted to feed him but he vomited again. According to the mother, he had not been feeling well since December 8, 2020.”

Jaylen died of “blunt force injuries” to his abdomen, according to O’Neill’s report. But the autopsy uncovered other injuries — including two broken ribs that were in the process of healing.

O’Neill counted more than 40 scars on the 4-year-old’s body during his examination.

“The autopsy documented a boy with multiple scattered abrasions and contusions on his body along with numerous scars,” O’Neill wrote in his summary. “Internal examination revealed blunt force injuries of the abdomen that consisted of tears to abdominal tissues, internal bleeding and a ruptured small intestine.”

Examiners ruled Jaylen’s death a “homicide.”

“Microscopic examination of the injuries predominantly reveals both a pattern of acute and healing injuries,” O’Neill noted in his summary. “The injuries sustained to his abdomen resulted in his death. In addition, there were bruises of the face and deep scalp hemorrhage. There were healing fractures of the left 6th-7th ribs.”

Police charged his mother, Kimberly Ann Boykin, with felony negligent child abuse, and she faces two other misdemeanor counts of child abuse and assault on a child under the age of 12.

Boykin’s boyfriend at the time of Jaylen’s death, 21-year-old Jacquaris Lemont Hines, is charged with murder. He remains in the Harnett County Detention Center without bond.

The two are set to appear in court again on Aug. 30.


Jaylen’s father, Tracey Jackson, told WRAL the Harnett County Department of Social Services urged him to let Jaylen spend time with his mother — a concession he regretted in the wake of Jaylen’s death.

DSS officials declined to comment on the case, saying state laws prevented them from doing so.

“DSS is not able to confirm or deny that a particular child is in DSS custody,” according to a statement from DSS. “Section 7B-2902 governs disclosure of records in child fatality or near fatality cases. Pursuant to the authority set forth in Section 7B-2902, DSS states that Jaylen Boykin was not removed from his mother’s care by the Harnett County Department of Social Services.”


  1. They both need to pay with their lives for what they did to Jaylen.

    The Harnett County Department of Social Services should also bear some of the responsibility in the death of Jaylen, which would not have happened without their insistence on the mother being in Jaylen’s life.

  2. Ugh…..this makes me sick. So heartbreaking and I pray that these two monsters get what they deserve. What is going on in this world where so many of our innocent children are being abused and/or killed?

Comments are closed.