A Smithfield teenager was hospitalized Thursday after authorities said his drink bottle was poisoned. It happened just before 6:00PM at a home on Weatherspoon Lane.
The victim drank from the bottle and became ill, requiring immediate treatment at the emergency room at Johnston Medical Center in Smithfield. An investigation by the Johnston County Sheriff’s Office led to the arrest of 18 year-old Makayla Gwen Bridges of Apex. Bridges was identified as the ex-girlfriend of the 17 year-old male victim.
Bridges allegedly put dish detergent and bleach in the Gatorade bottle before the victim unknowingly consumed the liquid which he thought was a sports drink. He immediately became ill and began vomiting, had abdominal pains and a burning sensation in his throat.
Bridges was charged with distributing noxious food causing harm, a felony offense. She was given a $10,000 secured bond on the charge. A motive for the poisoning incident was not disclosed. The victim is expected to recover.