SELMA – On August 2nd and 3rd, crews demolished two vacant houses in Selma to prepare land for a new My Kid’s Club Clubhouse in 2022.
In 2016 Hurricane Matthew destroyed the Club building in Selma. My Kid’s Club is now housed in temporary quarters at Selma Elementary School while building a new, permanent headquarters for students to call home.
The new location is adjacent to Selma Elementary School, so that younger members can walk to the Club after school.
My Kid’s Club designed the building for learning and achieving for students and the community. This 5,000 square foot building is creatively planned and full of brightly lit spaces, including:
- Multi-media center where the kids can access current technology resources
- Classroom as a quiet space for homework help, reading and small group activities
- Art space for music, drama and visual art
- Open, flexible space for large group discovery and play, plus parent events and workshops
- Full kitchen and cafe for dedicated snack time and healthy lifestyles learning
- Office for our onsite program director and support staff
About My Kids Club
MKC is a community-based organization in Johnston County to allow families to have access to safe, affordable, learning support, and enrichment activities for school aged children 6-16 years. Staff support children to complete their academic work while in engaging in developmentally appropriate enrichment activities that support socio-emotional well-being. Clubs are located at Selma Elementary School and South Smithfield Elementary School.