The Wake County Sheriff’s Office has charged an Uber driver who allegedly assaulted one of his customers.
Wake investigators secured arrest warrants on July 13. With assistance from the Johnston County Sheriff’s Office, Muhammed Arslan Afzal, 30, of Garner was located and arrested.
Wake County Deputies charged Afzal with first degree kidnapping, attempted second degree forcible sex offense, indecent exposure and sexual assault.
Authorities said the victim requested an Uber in the early morning hours of May 9. The victim was picked up from a location in Wake Forest and asked to be taken to her Raleigh home. During the trip, the suspect pulled on the shoulder of I-540 in Knightdale and convinced the victim to sit in the front passenger seat. It was at that time Afzal allegedly assaulted the woman.
Once the suspect arrived at the woman’s home, he fled the area.
While using a ridesharing service may be convenient, the Wake County Sheriff’s Office reminds riders to follow simple tips to remain safe:
- Share your trip with others.
- If you need to travel alone, consider taking the carpool option.
- Request your ride before you go outside.
- Sit in the backseat and wear your seatbelt.
- Check the driver’s ratings and read the reviews/feedback before you confirm a pickup.
- Most importantly, if your personal safety is threatened, call 9-1-1 immediately.
Afzal is currently housed in the Wake County Detention Center under a $250,000 bond.