The Town of Clayton says approximately 4,500 gallons of untreated wastewater spilled Saturday. The discharge of untreated wastewater was caused by grease and debris in a gravity sewer line.
The untreated wastewater was released from a manhole and entered an unnamed tributary of Sam’s Branch located behind 107 Lake Drive. A resident reported the overflow to town staff who immediately initiated an emergency response. The spill was stopped, and the affected area cleaned and restored.
The NC Division of Water Resources was notified of the events on Sunday and is reviewing the matter.
Anyone with questions about the spill can contact the Town of Clayton Distribution and Collection System Manager Byron W. Poelman at 919-553-1530.