Appliance Fire Damages Smithfield Home

A fire caused minor damage to a South Smithfield home Monday morning. The fire was reported around 10:45am at 906 S. Second Street.

Smithfield Fire Chief John Blanton said the homeowner had contacted a repair company to look at a clothes dryer. When the repairman moved the appliance it caused a short circuit and sparked a small fire.

The Smithfield, Selma and Four Oaks Fire Departments responded to the scene. The homeowner had the fire extinguished before fire crews arrived.

Chief Blanton said the damage was estimated at $2,000. The Johnston County Fire Marshal’s Office and Johnston County EMS also responded.

The blaze was ruled accidental.

Leave a Reply