Baby Hospitalized With Severe Burns

Police are investigating after a baby was severely burned in a local motel room on Monday.

Paramedics and first responders rushed to the Village Motor Lodge at 198 Mallard Road in Smithfield at 12:41pm.

The 1 year-old baby girl was severely burned from the neck down by bath water according to Smithfield Police.

The baby was rushed to the UNC Burn Center in Chapel Hill for treatment of serious burns, according to Police Chief Keith Powell.

A detective has been assigned to investigate the circumstances.  The names of those involved was not released.