It was four years ago today, May 31, 2015, Richard O’Neal Longmire of Thorne Road, Selma was gunned down outside a home on West Harnett Street in the Benson city limits.
The 39 year-old man was shot and killed by an unknown assailant or assailants during the late evening hours. Police believe Longmire had been involved in an altercation at the residence. He sustained multiple gunshot wounds and died at the scene.
Today, on the four year anniversary of the unsolved homicide, Benson Police Chief Kenneth Edwards said, “This case remains an open investigation and we continue to follow any reported leads. In addition, we ask anyone that may have information related to Mr. Longmire’s death to please contact us — all information can be provided anonymously. The state continues to offer a $5,000 reward for any information that leads to the arrest of those connected to this case.”
Shortly after the murder, police arrested two Benson brothers for the shooting. Those charges were later dropped after prosecutors said an eyewitness who claimed they saw one of the men murder Longmire recanted his statement. Based on “contradicting eyewitness testimony” the charges were dismissed.
The NC State Bureau of Investigation is also assisting with the unsolved homicide. If you have any information that could help solve the May 31, 2015 murder of Richard Longmire of Selma you are asked to contact the Benson Police Department at 919-894-2091.
2015 photos courtesy JoCoFire.com