The NC Department of Transportation says key changes to state laws pertaining to passing bicycles and mopeds on North Carolina highways are now in effect. They are part of legislation approved under House Bill 959.
Drivers must follow these rules to lawfully pass a bicycle or moped in a no passing area:
- You can only pass a bicycle or moped,
- The bicycle or moped must be headed in the same direction as the vehicle,
- The driver must provide at least four feet between themselves and the bicycle/moped or fully enter the left lane,
- Don’t pass when the bicycle or moped is signaling a left turn.
At night, bicycle riders must have:
- A lighted lamp on the bicycle’s front visible from at least 300 feet,
- A red light on the back of the bicycle,
- Or wear reflective clothing/vest visible from 300 feet.
For the complete law visit watchformenc.org.