Cause Of Cleveland House Fire Released

The Johnston County Fire Marshal’s Office has determined the cause of a fire that heavily damaged a home Sunday afternoon on Zachary Way off Cornwallis Road in the Cleveland community.

The Cleveland, Clayton and Wilson’s Mills Fire Departments were assisted by a tanker task force from 10 additional departments to shuttle water to the scene. There were no fire hydrants near the home.

Johnston County Deputy Fire Marshal Ryan Parker said the fire started on the exterior of the home due to improperly discarded smoking materials.

One Cleveland firefighter sustained minor injuries while responding to the call. The firefighter was riding in a fire engine and donning his breathing apparatus when it became entangled in a seat belt. The fireman removed the seat belt then lost his balance while the fire truck was turning at North Shiloh and Cornwallis Road.  The fireman fell against the interior door hitting the latch and fell onto the roadway.  The fireman was transported to Wake Med for treatment of minor abrasions and bruises.

No one was at home at the time of the house fire.

This article has been updated to correct the street address of the fire. 560 Zachary Way was the incorrect address. We apologize for the error.