Child Sparks Fire That Destroys Mobile Home

A juvenile playing with firecrackers is believed to be the cause of a fire that destroyed a singlewide mobile home in Johnston County Friday night.

Fire-Cornwallis-RdFire crews rushed to the home, located in the 400 block of Cornwallis Road around 6:35pm but could not save the property.

According to the Johnston County Fire Marshal’s Office and Johnston County Sheriff’s Office, the home was vacant at the time.  Authorities believe a child playing with firecrackers inside the home sparked the blaze. 

The home was a complete loss.

Tammy Amaon, Public Information Officer, with the Johnston County Sheriff’s Office said the fire remains under investigation.  Officials have not said if the juvenile might face any charges.