Clayton McDonald’s Briefly Evacuated

Fire-McDonalds-2McDonald’s in Clayton was briefly evacuated Monday night after smoke filled the lobby area.

Fire crews responded to the fast food restaurant after customers and employees reported smelling smoke then quickly seeing smoke coming from the ceiling. The restaurant was evacuated as firefighters searched for the origin.

Fire-McDonalds-3Debris located in the HVAC system was determined to be the cause. There was no damage, according to Town of Clayton Public Information Officer Stacy Beard.   The restaurant was briefly closed until a health inspector arrived and gave authorization for the business to reopen, which is standard procedure.

The Clayton, Cleveland, and Garner Fire Departments responded to the alarm along with Johnston County EMS. No injuries were reported. Photos courtesy