Clayton Middle School Briefly Evacuated After Smoke Fills Cafeteria

Fire, EMS and police vehicles were seen surrounding Clayton Middle School on Guy Road on Tuesday afternoon.

Emergency crews were initially dispatched to a fire in the kitchen area at the school cafeteria.  Clayton Fire Marshal Tony Atkinson said there was no fire, rather a belt on an HVAC system giving off a burning smell.

Some smoke did enter the cafeteria.   Fire crews helped ventilate the smoke and monitor the air quality before clearing from the scene.

As a precaution students were evacuated outside then moved into a separate part of the school before being allowed to return to their classrooms.   Photos by John Payne