Town of Clayton Police have zero tolerance when it comes to underage drinking. Equally, they have no tolerance for anyone selling alcohol to minors.
That’s why this month, the Clayton Police Department’s Vice Unit conducted its periodic routine undercover compliance operation to ensure that businesses in town that sell alcohol are following the law.
Unfortunately, of the 27 businesses checked, 9 of them sold alcohol to the underage teen working with the Vice Unit.
The Clayton Police Department was assisted by a 17-year old underage volunteer – working covertly under close police supervision and monitoring – going to stores licensed to sell alcohol and attempting to purchase alcoholic beverages. If the clerks asked for identification, the underage buyer presented proper ID showing the correct age of 17. Of the 9 locations where alcohol was sold in violation of the law, 6 of those clerks actually checked the underage teen’s ID, but still sold the alcohol.
Not only is the clerk who sold the alcohol cited, but the North Carolina Alcohol Law Enforcement can prosecute the retailer as well. The individual clerks can face probation and a multitude of fines that are decided by a court judge.
The locations where alcohol was sold to the teen:
- Lowes Food – 11711 US HWY 70 BUS W. Clayton, NC 27520
- Sheetz – 1671 NC HWY 42 W. Clayton, NC 27520
- Howard’s MiniMart – 4222 Barbour Mill Rd. Clayton, NC 27520
- Crown Fast Fare – 11325 US HWY 70 BUS W Clayton, NC 27520
- ABC Store – 12487 US HWY 70 BUS W. Clayton, NC 27520
- Speedway – 291 NC HWY 42 E. Clayton, NC 27520
- La Nueva Frontera – 10499 US HWY 70 BUS W. Clayton, NC 27520
- La Bonita – 913 E Main St. Clayton, NC 27520
- Compare Foods – 421 E. Second St. Clayton, NC 27520