SMITHFIELD – The Johnston County Department of Social Services announced late-Tuesday a number of immediate changes in response to COVID-19. The changes are being made to impede the spread of the coronavirus and to ensure the health and safety of clients and staff, according to DSS Board Chairman Griffin David Lockett.
Lockett said several measures will be implemented for the protection of clients and DSS employees.
• Effective immediately, access to the public lobby area will be limited to staff.
• The staff will be available by phone and email during normal business hours, Monday through Friday from 8:00am until 5:00pm.
• All residents may contact the Department of Social Services by telephone for instructions and assistance at 919-989-5300.
• Residents may apply for Public Assistance benefits online through ePass via www.JohnstonNC.com/DSS or by telephone at 919-989-5300.
• The public may also pick up a paper application in the front of the main building at 714 North Street, Smithfield and return the completed application to the Drop Box provided outside of the agency or they may mail it. If assistance is needed with the application, call 919-989-5300.