A gas leak forced emergency crews to evacuate a one block radius in Downtown Smithfield this morning (Thursday). Around 11:00am, a gas line was accidentally cut by a contractor in the 100 block of North Fifth Street.
First responders cordoned off a one block radius around the leak, evacuating several homes and businesses including a furniture store and dialysis center. Natural gas crews arrived on the scene around 11:30am and had the leak capped by 12 Noon.
Everyone was then allowed to return to their homes and businesses. No injuries were reported.
The Smithfield Fire Department, Smithfield Police Department, Johnston County EMS and Johnston County Emergency Services responded.