Family Escapes, Cat Dies In Mobile Home Fire

MICRO – The American Red Cross is assisting a Johnston County family after a failure within a porch light fixture sparked a fire Tuesday night that destroyed their home. Around 8:55pm Tuesday, the Micro, Kenly, and Bethany Fire Departments responded to a 911 call reporting the fire on Pecan Estates Lane off Old Beulah Road. 

Firefighters arrived to find smoke and flames coming from the doublewide mobile home.  The fire was quickly brought under control. The family dog survived but one cat perished in the blaze.

Two adults who lived at the address were not injured but lost their belongings. 

Johnston County Emergency Services Deputy Fire Marshal Ryan Parker said the fire was determined to be accidental. Parker said the fire originated on the back porch and was caused by a failure within the porch light fixture.