Fire Causes $200,000 Damage To Home

A Johnston County home was heavily damaged by fire Tuesday evening.

Around 7:00pm, a home at 6979 Cornwallis Road caught fire. Responding units arrived on the scene to find heavy smoke and flames.

Paul Whitehurst, Assistant Director of Johnston County Emergency Services, said the fire appears to have started outside the home near the electrical service.  The home, owned by Wayne and Patsy Huntley, sustained an estimated $200,000 in damages.

Crews from the Clayton, Cleveland, Eastern Wake, Garner, Thanksgiving, Wendell, and Wilson’s Mills Fire Departments battled the blaze before it was brought under control. Due to hydrant issues, tankers had to shuttle water to the scene.

The Johnston and Wake County Sheriff’s Offices and NC Highway Patrol provided traffic control on Cornwallis Road.  A Johnston County EMS crew also stood by at the scene.

There were no injuries reported.  Photos by