Fire Displaces Mother, 4 Children

Fire Gurley Road 2A mother and her four children lost most of their belongings after a fire heavily damaged their rental home at 1051 Gurley Mill Road near Princeton Sunday afternoon.

A passing motorist called 911 to report the blaze.  Johnston County Assistant Fire Marshal Banks Wallace said the fire was started by an unattended pot left on the stove.  The homeowner had started cooking, forgot they had left a pot on the stove, and left home, Wallace said.

The fire was ruled accidental.

Three fire departments responded to the scene to contain the blaze. 

Wallace said the occupant did not have renters insurance. He said renters insurance is very cost affordable and encouraged people renting homes to have their belongings insured.   Photos courtesy