Fire Prompts Assisted Living Center Evacuation

SMITHFIELD – Fire crews rushed to a Smithfield assisted living center on Sunday. Around 10:45am, the Smithfield Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at The Landings of Smithfield at 200 Kellie Drive.

Firefighters arrived to find a clothes dryer on fire and a portion of the facility filling with smoke. The fire was quickly contained but it took some time to ventilate the building and remove the smoke.

The Selma and Wilson’s Mills Fire Departments were dispatched to assist. Johnston County EMS responded with several units.

Officials said approximately 40 residents were evacuated for about an hour until the smoke could be removed.

No injuries were reported.

The Johnston County Fire Marshal’s Office responded to investigate the blaze.

Leave a Reply