Gas Leak Does Not Disrupt Graduation

A gas leak was reported Friday evening across the street from Clayton High School where graduation ceremonies were already underway.

Clayton Fire and Police responded to the leak on Hamby Street between Fayetteville and Page Streets.

As a precaution, Hamby Street was blocked off in front of the high school but no evacuations were ordered at the school.

Graduation ceremonies were held as scheduled.  Piedmont Natural Gas representatives arrived on the scene a short time later and capped the leak.

No injuries were reported. Photos courtesy