Generator Powering Johnston County Home Blamed For Carbon Monoxide Death

Photo by John Payne

CLAYTON ā€“ A Johnston County man died Saturday morning from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning. It happened on Trenburg Place near Clayton.

The neighborhood lost power around 7:00pm Friday. A 65 year-old man was reportedly running a propane-powered generator in his garage to power his home.

Around 4:00am Saturday, the victim’s wife said he went into the garage to check on the generator. Around 7:00am, when he had not returned, his wife went to check on him and found his deceased in the garage.

Photo by John Payne

She was transported to the hospital due to high levels of carbon monoxide.

The victim and his wife had recently relocated from New York to Johnston County after his retirement.

While on the scene of the fatality, a nearby resident reported their carbon monoxide alarm had sounded. Firefighters discovered they were also running a generator in their garage. They were evaluated at the scene but not transported to the hospital.

Photo by John Payne

The Johnston County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the tragic death.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) says there are about 430 carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning deaths in the United States each year. Another 50,000 people visit the emergency department due to accidental CO poisoning.

According to the CDC website, the most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. People who are sleeping or who have been drinking alcohol can die from CO poisoning before ever having symptoms.

4 COMMENTS

    • and they were not from here just moved here from NY so what do you really have to say now….

  1. What home inspector passed the home inspection off with out having carbon monoxide detectors in the house if she had to go to the hospital for carbon monoxide that means it entered the house and Iā€™m guessing no detectors went off

    • It appears those houses were built well before the 2018 residential code that required the detectors. The only thing that would make them mandatory to add to an existing non-leased structure would be alterations, repairs or additions to the interior that required a county permit from what I’m reading.

Comments are closed.