ANGIER – Embers from a wood burning stove are suspected of sparking a fire that destroyed a home on Langdon Road at the Harnett-Johnston County line. Fire departments from both counties rushed to the scene around 7:00pm Wednesday.
Harnett County Fire Marshal Rodney Daniels said firefighters from the West Johnston Fire Department were the first on the scene and observed heavy flames at the back of the home extending to the second floor. The fire was determined to be unintentional, originating in the attic in the area of the flue connected to a wood stove. Investigators believe embers may have gotten behind a wall and sparked the blaze.
Two people were displaced from the home Wednesday night. The Red Cross was called to assist the family.
Around 8:30am Thursday, the fire rekindled and cause additional damage. No injuries were reported.