House Fire Blamed On Clothes Dryer

Fire-South-Second-Inside-2A fire Sunday night damaged a home in South Smithfield.  The fire was reported around 10:00 PM in the 700 block of South Second Street.

The Smithfield and Selma Fire Departments arrived on the scene to find flames had spread from a dryer into the ceiling of the home. The blaze was quickly contained.

No injuries were reported, however, a mother and her 5 children were displaced from the residence.  Arrangements were made for them to stay with friends.

The Johnston County Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire originated in the clothes dryer. Smithfield Fire Chief John Blanton said the fire was accidental.