Fireworks are meant to be enjoyed, but you’ll enjoy them much more knowing your family is safe. Fireworks-related injuries are most common on and around holidays associated with fireworks celebrations, especially July Fourth. However, fireworks can turn a joyful celebration into a painful memory when children and adults are injured or killed while using fireworks.
Each July Fourth thousands of people, often children and teens, are injured while using consumer fireworks.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that in the United States more than 3,000 children under the age of 15 visit the emergency room each year because of fireworks. That’s why parents are encouraged to take extra precautions this Fourth of July and make it a safe holiday.
The risk of fireworks injury is highest for children ages 5 to 19 and adults 25 to 44. The good news is you can enjoy your holiday and the fireworks, with just a few simple safety tips. You can help prevent fireworks-related injuries and deaths. It is important to remember that fireworks can be dazzling, but they can also be dangerous.
Children should never play with fireworks. Sparklers burn at very high temperatures and should be not be handled by children. The tip of a sparkler burns at a temperature of more than 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit, which is hot enough to cause third-degree burns.
The safest thing parents can do to protect your child is not to use any fireworks at home. Attend public fireworks displays, and leave the lighting to the professionals. Make sure you and your children know what’s safe and what’s not when it comes to fireworks.
Eye injuries are among the most common fireworks injuries. Things like firecrackers, rockets and sparklers are dangerous. Fireworks can cause more than just burns to children. When used improperly, they can also cause cuts, bruises, foreign objects in the eye, and in some cases, even death.
Immediately go to a doctor, hospital or call 911 for firework injuries. If an eye injury occurs, don’t allow your child to touch or rub it, as this may cause even more damage. Make the choice to protect yourself and your family from fireworks injuries. Courtesy The Daily Record