Neighbor Helps Family Escape Burning Home

A North Smithfield townhome went up in flames this morning (Thursday). Thanks to an alert neighbor the family made it out unharmed.

Around 8:15am, a woman who lives on Sussex Drive took her dog out and spotted smoke and flames on a neighbors back porch deck.  She ran to their home and pounded on their door until they were awakened.  The family of three was unaware of the fire.  They made it out but lost their home and belongings.

The neighbor didn’t wish to release her name or provide an interview. She was credited by first responders with helping the family escape safely.

Johnston County Emergency Services Fire Marshal Adam Stanley said an electrical failure within the wall on the back porch was to blame for the fire, which was ruled accidental.

The Smithfield Fire Department was assisted by the Selma and Wilson’s Mills Fire Departments.     The Red Cross is assisting the family who lost everything they owned.

Photos by John Payne