Residents Return Home After Gas Leak Forces Evacuation

SMITHFIELD – Three homes were evacuated Friday morning after a construction crew accidentally cut a two inch natural gas line on Buffalo Road just north of Booker Dairy Road.

Residents in three nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution after the 8:05am mishap.  A section of Buffalo Road between Booker Dairy Road and Kellie Drive was blocked off by Smithfield Police.

Natural gas company repair crews arrived on the scene and contained the leak.  Residents were allowed to return home around 11:00am.

The Smithfield and Selma Fire Departments, Smithfield Police Department, Johnston County EMS, and Johnston County Emergency Services responded.

No injuries were reported.