Selma Police are offering a few safety tips before Christmas regarding internet sales and meeting individuals to complete those online sales.
Police Chief R.A. Cooper said in the past, individuals who thought they found a great deal on a website such as CraigsList or OfferUp, meet the seller, however the citizen was robbed or defrauded.
Police said there are some important things to remember when making a purchase from a stranger over the internet where you have to meet in person to exchange money and pick up the item.
- Never meet in a isolated area or dimly lit area.
- If the offer seems too good to be true it probably is; be alert to a possible scam.
- Meet during the daytime in a well populated area like a shopping center or restaurant.
- When possible, meet at a public building or police station parking lot
- Be alert of your surroundings when you arrive to meet the seller.
- Do not agree to meet the seller alone.
- Call 911 if you have any concerns or if you feel you have been the victim of a fraud.
Anyone with information regarding fraudulent internet sales activity or robbery motivated sales is asked to contact Selma Police at 919-965-8189.