Unattended Candle Blamed For Benson-Area House Fire

Fire-Pollard-Circle-1-FIA fire authorities initially said on Sunday may have been suspicious was ruled Monday afternoon as an accidental blaze.

Three fire departments responded to 377 Pollard Circle, outside of Benson, near McGee’s Crossroads, on Sunday and extinguished the blaze but not before it caused an estimated $50,000 in damage.

The Johnston County Fire Marshal and Johnston County Sheriff’s Office were called to the scene on Sundayand launched an investigation. Initially, authorities said the fire may have been suspicious because there was no electricity connected to the home.

However, on Monday, fire officials ruled the blaze accidental saying it was started by an unattended candle left burning near combustible materials. 

The 50-210, Cleveland and Elevation Fire Departments responded to the scene along with 50-210 EMS. Photo by JoCoFire.com