CLAYTON – A house fire Monday night heavily damaged a Clayton home and killed several family pets. The fire was reported in the Garrison subdivision.
Firefighters said flames were coming from the rear of the home when they arrived. They were able to quickly contain the blaze. Five dogs were rescued however seven puppies could not escape.
The Clayton Fire Marshal believes the fire originated from a heat lamp in the backyard that was being used to keep the dogs warm. The lamp possibly ignited insulation in the doghouse and spread to the rear deck and back of the home and then into the attic.
The Red Cross is assisting the family. The residents were able to escape with no injuries.