Hover Board Fire Damages Home

Hoverboard Fire 1There were some tense moments Wednesday night for a Johnston County family after a hover board left charging in the garage of their home caught fire.

The incident happened around 10:00pm on Riverglad Drive in the Glen Laurel Subdivision in Clayton.

The homeowner said they heard an explosion and felt the house shake. Upon investigating the noise, they found flames spreading up the wall of their garage, burning the front of a pickup truck parked in the garage, and the home filling with smoke.

Paul Papineau was able to extinguish the blaze using fire extinguishers and a garden hose just as Clayton fire crews were arriving. Firemen helped remove the smoke from the home and make sure everyone was okay.

Papineau said he had left the hover board plugged in about 4 hours to charge, which is over the 2 hour charging limit. He said the hover board was not part of a recent recall of hover boards.  Luckily there were no injuries.  Photos by John Payne