Victim Collapses Outside Burning Home

A Selma man collapsed and stopped breathing outside his burning home Tuesday afternoon.  It happened around 5:15pm at 816 South Sumner Street.

Selma Fire Chief Phillip McDaniel said crews arrived on the scene to find heavy smoking coming from the single story home.  Firefighters found the homeowner unconscious in the front yard.  Firemen moved the man away from the burning home so paramedics could begin treating him.

McDaniel said the victim stopped breathing. Selma EMS started CPR on the victim and after 15 minutes were able to regain a pulse.  The victim, who was still unconscious, was rushed to Wake Medical Center in critical condition.

Officials have not said if the man’s had a medical issue or was overcome by the smoke and flames.  His name was not immediately released.

Chief McDaniel said the fire was sparked by faulty electrical wiring.  Johnston County Fire Marshal Adam Stanley ruled the blaze as an accident. The home sustained extensive damage.  Photos by