Pot Left On Stove Burns Duplex

A pot mistakenly left on a stove started a fire that damaged a duplex Tuesday night in West Smithfield.

The Red Cross is working to assist victims of the fire displaced because of the damage.

Flames broke out around 9:50pm at 316 Stancil Street.  Smithfield and Wilson’s Mills fire crews quickly brought the blaze under control.

A mother and her two children lived in the unit that sustained heavy fire damage.  The adjoining unit sustained significant smoke damage.

County Fire Marshal Adam Stanley said the fire was ruled accidental due to unattended cooking. There were no injuries. Photos by John Payne