A 68 year-old woman died in a weekend house fire in Harnett County.
At 9:36am Saturday, fire crews were dispatched to a report of a house fire with a person trapped inside the residence at 11983 NC Highway 210, Spring Lake. Fire crews arrived to find Doris Chisum trapped in the bedroom. They were unable to rescue her from the fire.
According to the Harnett County Sheriff’s Office, Ms. Chisum lived at the residence with her brother, Donald Barnes. Mr. Barnes said he was working outside when he heard the smoke detectors from inside the residence activate. He attempted to enter the residence but the fire and smoke prevented him from reaching his sister.
Sheriff Wayne Coats said the fire appears to be accidental but the investigation is continuing.