ARCHER LODGE – A home at 117 Amsterdam Drive, Clayton was destroyed by flames Thursday afternoon. The fire was reported as strong thunderstorms and gusty winds moved through the county, but officials said the fire was not weather related.
At 4:11pm, the Northside, Clayton, Corinth Holders, and Wilson’s Mills Fire Departments were dispatched to a working house fire. Crews arrived to find smoke and flames coming from the two story home. It took 90 minutes to contain the fire due to severe weather conditions.
Johnston County Fire Marshal Adam Stanley said the National Weather Service was consulted and a lighting strike was ruled out as the cause. During the investigation, fire investigators were able to determine the fire started around the back porch and quickly spread up the rear of the home and through the roof. Winds associated with the thunderstorms contributed to the fire spreading rapidly.
The fire was ruled accidental due to improperly discarded smoking materials.
“Everyone is encouraged to use a metal bucket with sand to place discarded smoking materials in when finished with them. It is also best practice to clean out the bucket on a very regular basis,” Fire Marshal Stanley said.
One person in the home and their pet were able to escape without harm. The Red Cross responded and is assisting the fire victim.