Split Board Approves Selma Sidewalks

In a 3-to-1 vote, the Town of Selma has agreed to install sidewalks on Ricks Road from US 301 to US 70 when the roadway is widened from 2 to 3 lanes by the NC DOT. Selma will pay for 20 percent of the cost. The NC DOT will pay for 80 percent. Selma Town Councilman Mark Petersen voted against the sidewalks. JoCoReport.com Photo

In a split vote, the Town of Selma has agreed to fund the placement of sidewalks along Ricks Road from US 301 to US 70.

The NC Department of Transportation plans to widen Ricks Road from two to three lanes.  Preliminary work is already underway including bidding out water, sewer and electrical line relocations.

In a 3-to-1 vote, the Selma Town Council has agreed to spend 20 percent of the $131,000 cost of the sidewalks, or $26,200. The remaining 80 percent will be paid for by the NC DOT.

Councilman Mark Petersen questioned the necessity of sidewalks on both side of Ricks Road.

Mayor Cheryl Oliver said the Ricks Road sidewalk project would tie in to the sidewalks beside US 301 and the Town was getting the work done at a good price.  The mayor also suggested it could increase pedestrian traffic into Downtown Selma.

The measure was adopted with Councilman Petersen casting the only dissenting vote.  Councilman William Overby, Mayor Pro Tem Jackie Lacy and Mayor Oliver voted for its passage.

SHARE
  • Timmy Wayne Strickland

    citizens will not let the state take more of their property

  • SouthernBelleMyA**

    Sidewalks were common in every neighborhood and town I have ever lived in. It shouldn’t even be a question as to whether or not to have them. They increase safety for citizens; when maintained, they are an attractive benefit to any community and it gives a cohesive look and feel to the community as well. Makes no sense to be against having sidewalks in a town…smh…

Previous articleMore Car Break-Ins Reported
Next articleHealthy Harvest Festival Draws Hundreds To Benson
  • Timmy Wayne Strickland

    citizens will not let the state take more of their property

  • SouthernBelleMyA**

    Sidewalks were common in every neighborhood and town I have ever lived in. It shouldn’t even be a question as to whether or not to have them. They increase safety for citizens; when maintained, they are an attractive benefit to any community and it gives a cohesive look and feel to the community as well. Makes no sense to be against having sidewalks in a town…smh…