Woman Arrested For Leading Officers On Two High Speed Chases

PRINCETON – A Johnston County woman is facing a long list of charges after leading law enforcement officers on two high speed pursuits in less than two hours.

It began around 6:15pm Monday when deputies responded to a home near Princeton for a civil dispute over a vehicle title.  Authorities said one of the parties involved was 41 year-old Heidi Marie Ward of the 4600 block of Highway 70-A, Princeton.  Deputies spoke with the individuals and left the scene, but minutes later received a second call alleging Ward had caused a disturbance and left in a blue 2003 Chevy S-10 pickup.

A short time later, deputies spotted Ward’s truck on Dr. Donnie H. Jones Boulevard in Princeton and attempted to pull her over to talk about the disturbance.  Ward refused to stop and turned onto Highway 70 and soon reached speeds of 100mph in a 55mph zone. The chase entered Wayne County and then onto Gurley Mill Road at speeds of 90mph. Deputies called off the chase because of Ward’s dangerous driving.

At 7:31pm, a Selma police officer spotted Ward’s truck on Pine Level-Selma Road and attempted to stop her. Ward once again sped away from officers reaching speeds of 60mph in a 25mph zone on E. Waddell Street.  Along E. Anderson Street the truck reached speeds of 80mph in a 35mph zone. The truck also struck two trash cans beside the street. On Ricks Road, the vehicle jumped the railroad tracks due to the excessive speed and ran a stop light at Ricks Road and Highway 70.

Selma Police said Ward drove through the parking lot of Kentucky Fried Chicken then turned onto Highway 70 East where deputies joined the pursuit.  During the pursuit Ward tried to ram some of the patrol cars.   The chase ended on Highway 70 near Pine Level when she struck a patrol vehicle.  No officers were injured.

Ward was arrested on multiple charges including fleeing to elude arrest, driving on a revoked license, speeding, reckless driving, assault with a deadly weapon, injury to property and littering.  Bail was set at $110,000.

The Chevy pickup was seized under the NC Run and You’re Done Law.