Sidewalks Approved For Booker Dairy Road

Booker Dairy Road 2On Tuesday night, the Smithfield Town Council agreed to move forward with placing sidewalks along Booker Dairy Road in Smithfield, but said work could still be several years away.

The Town Council wants sidewalks installed along the existing Booker Dairy Road and the yet to be built Booker Dairy Road Extension.

Councilman Charles A. Williams said sidewalks are a public safety issue for students walking to and from Smithfield Selma High and Neuse Charter School, plus existing neighborhoods and future growth anticipated once the roadway extension project is completed.

Town officials have been in discussions with the NC Department of Transportation, who have agreed to share the costs. When funds become available, the NCDOT will pay for 70% of the cost and the Town the remaining 30 percent.  The sidewalk project would likely be completed in sections as funds become available over a period of several fiscal budget years. 

The Town Council unanimously voted to approve the resolution to move forward with the project.  The DOT will prepare a cost estimate for the project before any work begins.   

Town Councilman Roger Wood said he would like to see the Town work with the DOT to add sidewalks along Wilson’s Mills Road in West Smithfield.