Fire Chief: Smoke Detector Helps Save Family’s Life

Photo courtesy
Photo courtesy

Firefighters credit a battery operated smoke detector with saving the lives of a Kenly couple.

Just before 5am Saturday, Kenly Fire Chief Paul Whitehurst said a smoke detector located outside a bedroom awakened Willie and Mary Brown, alerting them their home was filling with smoke.

Firefighters said a fire began in the back room of their home at 402 West Sixth Street in Kenly.  The Brown’s immediately got out of their home and called 911. When fire crews arrived on the scene the blaze was quickly spreading. 

Chief Whitehurst said the fire started in the vicinity of a window air conditioning unit and was accidental. 

The Red Cross was called in to assist the Brown’s whose home was a complete loss.  

Fire crews from three departments from Johnston and Wilson Counties were called to the scene.  Luckily no one was injured. Photo courtesy