Fire Heavily Damages 100 Year Old Church

One of Johnston County’s oldest churches was heavily damaged in an overnight fire.

Around 11:00pm Tuesday, fire departments from Johnston and Wilson counties rushed to the Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church on Tilghman Street in Kenly. The first fire crews to arrive found flames coming from the windows and attic.

It took about 35 minutes for the Kenly, Micro and Crossroads Fire Departments to bring the fire under control.

Kenly Fire Chief Paul Whitehurst said the fire appears to be accidental due to an electrical issue. Several electrical circuits, cords and small appliances were located in the area where the fire originated. Officials were unable to determine the specific component that sparked the fire.

Damage to the church, which is more than 100 years old, was estimated at $65,000.

Several church members arrived on the scene to watch fire crews battle the blaze. Some elderly church members said they had attended the church since they were children. Photos by