Fire Marshal: Electrical Cord May Have Sparked Blaze

CLAYTON – The Johnston County Fire Marshal’s Office is urging residents to be cautious when using electrical cords. A fire that heavily damaged a Clayton-area home may have started as a result of a damaged electrical cord.

At 3:24am Sunday, the Cleveland, Clayton and Wilson’s Mills Fire Departments responded to a house fire at 124 Pay Day Lane. County Fire Marshal Adam Stanley said a working smoke detector alerted the occupant to the fire and they were able to escape.

Officials said the fire started in the living room area and the exact cause could not be determined, however, investigators suspect a damaged electrical cord may be to blame.

“We would like to remind everyone that if you are using electrical cords they should be placed in an area that will not be exposed to constant walking traffic as well as running cords through windows and doors. This action causes these electrical cords to break down over time. Also make sure that your electrical cord is rated for the appliance that you are using it with,” Fire Marshal Stanley said.

No injuries were reported.