Fire Investigator: Candle Sparked House Fire That Injured Two People

DUNN – Harnett County fire investigators have released the cause of a house fire last week that sent a mother and her child to the hospital.  The blaze happened Tuesday, July 7that 103 Chelsea Lane near Dunn.

The homeowner and her child escaped from the flames before firefighters arrived. They were transported to Betsy Johnson Hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries. They were released from the hospital that same day.

It took crews from the Benson, Coats, and Plainview Fire Departments to contain the fire.  The home sustained about $40,000 in damages. Two vehicles in the carport were also damaged.

Harnett County Chief Deputy Fire Marshal Banks Wallace said the fire has been ruled unintentional.  The fire started in the living room and was caused by a candle too close to combustibles.

“I would like to remind the public to always use safe practices when lighting candles in the home.  This includes constantly watching the candle, placing candles a safe distance from combustibles, and never leaving candles unattended,” Wallace said. “Early notification of the 911 center was key in helping firefighters quickly extinguish the fire and allow EMS to render aid to the victims.”