Fire Marshal: Overloaded Drop Cord Sparked House Fire

ANGIER – An overloaded drop cord is being blamed for sparking a fire that heavily damaged a Johnston County home. The fire was reported Saturday, June 5th on Willow Court off Wiggins Road in western Johnston County.

A neighbor noticed smoke coming from the roof of the home and called 911. The West Johnston, Elevation, and Smithfield Fire Departments found flames near the third floor window. The fire was contained in an hour.

Fire Marshal Adam Stanley said investigators were able to determine the fire originated in the attic space of the third floor. The fire was blamed on an electrical failure from an overloaded drop cord. No one was at home at the time of the fire.

One firefighter was transported to the hospital for treatment of a minor injury.

The Johnston County EMS Rehab Unit responded.

2 COMMENTS

  1. That’s a pretty crappy situation to be in. I wish that family luck in getting everything fixed up. Also, this is a great reminder – extension cords aren’t great for all scenarios. Here’s a good YouTube video detailing this. The presenter makes some references to older videos of his, but it’s still very useful: https://youtu.be/K_q-xnYRugQ

  2. As a single mom.i rented a house.and my only source of heat was electric heaters that we had plugged in drop cords.i prayed hard every nite for a better living situation and my kids to stay warm.we were blessed for yrs for our safety.god bless this family and many more that cant afford high dollar mortgages.like myself.

Leave a Reply